Last week saw us finally get the news that we have been waiting for since April. We received the date from the hospital for Son No 1 surgery. To be fair we were given a date in June for the operation but it clashed with our holiday so had to postpone it! So the NHS weren’t really dragging their feet on this one. The reason for the delay in getting a date was because they have to get 4 specialists in a room together at the same time, according to one of the surgeon’s “it’s like herding cats”. Since I have never done this nor have any intention in doing this I will take his word for it.
The good news that came out of the consultation that we had back in April is that it is not as bad as they first thought. They are now calling it “Pseudo Ankylosis” as the jaw joint is not totally fused so they think they will just be able to go and reshape the jaw joint to allow the jaw open to its full potential. This of course sounds great to us but to Son No 1 who desperately tries to show me every day that he can open his mouth wider (which he can’t) it’s not.
The general consensus within the medical team is that it is still the result of the horrific ear infection that he had when he was 19 months old. If you are wondering how wide he can open his mouth, well they measured it at 5mm which in imperial terms is 0.1968 inches, so in my terms that’s fuck all.
So roll on the 12th July when fingers crossed they will still have a bed for him and the specialists can work their magic and reshape my wee boys jaw.
Will keep you posted…