Tuesday 27 September 2011

Good bye London...... Hello Auckland...

Well it seems that the Elephant we had has finally left the room. Yes we are finally going home, back to the land of the long white cloud, that’s New Zealand if you hadn’t of guessed. After 3 years of ranting, raving and the odd door slamming, all by me of course, the decision has been made and we leave in November.

So yes, I have finally got what I wanted. Am I jumping up and down with excitement? Hmmm, well not yet anyway and I am not sure when the excitement will kick in! After spending all of last week in limbo, not knowing what was happening and then being told all of a sudden we need to be out there for 21st November, well it has left me a bit shell shocked to be honest. Hence the lack of blogging last week, I just couldn't think about anything else! I had always envisaged that I would have months to pack up 10 ½ years of memories and possessions plus the boys, not 6 weeks. But hey ho, these things happen, just need to tell myself that 6 weeks is plenty of time and make sure I don’t sit back and procrastinate about everything that needs to be done.

So my biggest worry is that I have been looking thru rose tinted glassed for the last 3 years, that it is not going to live up to my expectations! That we are going to wrench the boys away from all they know and it’s going to be a disaster. I am just hoping that it is the best move for the family especially for the boys, otherwise it will be the worse decision I have ever pushed to be made, and that is saying something. I have no doubt that it will be tough for Mr P and me to settle back. Especially as we left as 30 something’s, wanting to travel and take on the world and going back as 40 something’s, tired and worn out with two little people to look after. Neither of us are from Auckland so new friends will need to be made by all of us, schools sorted for the boys, a whole new city to discover and find our way round. I will even have to eventually look for a job.

But that is all immaterial when I think that the boys will finally get to spend time with their grandparents, get to know their cousins, aunties and uncles. Get to know all the people that make up the extended families that they belong to.

It's has to be the right decision doesn't it??

23 comments:

Mari's World said...

I actually took a sharp intake of breath when I read your title in my inbox!
Of course it's the right decision and you're bound to have worries and thoughts but you must stop yourself. The most important thing is you and Mr P are convinced about this, the boys will love anything you do so long as you're all a family.
New life, new home, new friends. I wish you the very best of luck and if I am ever to visit the land of the long white cloud I shall definitely be in touch xx

Frankie Parker said...

Mari.... Thanks as always for your lovely comment.. We will always have room for you and yours xx

Fox in the City said...

Ah, I am happy for you because this is something that you have really wanted!! I can totally get how overwhelming it must feel but it will all work out in the end.

I can't wait for photos of your new home. I have always wanted to go and visit New Zealand. I have always had a fascination with it's Maori culture.
Jenn

Frankie Parker said...

Hey Jenn, well you know if you ever get over you will have somewhere to stay... xx

Emma said...

You know it's the right decision.... SO Excited for you! Can't believe you are off in November!! If you need any packing/moving tips then let me know! Emma :)

Sarah said...

Enjoy the fact that you're moving back, with the knowledge that if you don't love it, changes can be made and London will await. All the best for the move back xxx

Michelle Reeves - Bod for tea said...

As someone who's not long come back to exactly where she wanted to be I'm so happy for you! Hope all goes smoothly with the move :D

Little M said...

Well if anyone knows how you feel its me! I asked myself the same things..but in the end I am happy knowing the my son will actually know how is grandparents are, establish a good relationship with his cousins and have family around. We leave in 3 weeks and my nerves are on edge. We are essentially starting over. We have nothing, our life is here but I am now putting on a brave face and looking forward to this new adventure. We must keep up with our new lives!!! The DC- Auckland connection :)

Random Woman said...

I think you are brave and fearless and it's the right thing because it's what you want for your whole family. Going to New Zealand is on my bucket list but it'll be a few years yet.

You will still be blogging from the other side of the world won't you? We want to hear your adventures.

Baron Mischief said...

Hey good luck you. Didn't realise you were from NZ. Does that mean it will take slightly longer for me to read your blogs? *tee hee*

Bo said...

Best of luck with it all. I think kids tend to cope with it much better than people expect and they make friends really easily. Hope it goes well for you all.

Grenglish said...

I think it's lovely news and of course you have made the right decision. You will have an amazing quality of life, I am rather envious!

So much luck with your move. I look forward to hearing all about it!

Obviously you'll still keep blogging though, right?!

Sx

Frankie Parker said...

Thanks everyone for your comments, oh yes will still keep blogging as it keeps me same....

Frankie Parker said...

Okay that should be sane.... it keeps me sane!!

Anonymous said...

I guess it will only be the right decision once you've settled and realised you've made the right decision. If it's something you need and want to do, you should do it.

Very best of luck.
CJ xx

Alexandra said...

Hi Frankie,
I'm really pleased that you're able to go home. London's loss and Auckland's gain.
I spent 10 years living away and worried about my own rose tinted glasses. Thankfully when we returned to London, it was more and better than before.
Bon voyage et bon chance.
x

Almost bedtime said...

Hi Frankie. Good luck with your move. If it feels right in your heart then it is the right thing to do. Having family close is so important plus your kids will understand your culture if you bring them up in your homeland. i'm struggling with that right now as my kids will be Canadians and will never get my Yorkshire roots. My brother emigrated to Auckland with his young family three years ago and doesn't regret the move. Good luck!

Jacq said...

Wow! Good luck. I hope going back lives up to your expectations. Good luck with the house packing too!!!

Stigmum said...

When I started to read this my first thought was 'don't go!' (cos I'm well selfish!) but then remembered this is cyberspace and you're not going anywhere! Of course your decision is right if it feels right! Most of my kiwi friends have moved back to NZ and I sure miss them but you're sure going back to great people! Thanks for your support while you've been here in England experiencing our b*ll*cks politics!! Best of luck, let us know how it all goes and good luck too with the packing. Unfortunately no helpful tips on my blog with that, I'm rubbish at it!!

Stigmum said...

My packing vignettes.. like I said, totally unhelpful...Hope you're having more luck than I did.. The removal men packed me in the end!
http://stigmum.blogspot.com/2010/11/packing-or-blogging.html
http://stigmum.blogspot.com/2010/11/loneliness-of-packing.html
Sending support vibes!! xxx

Stigmum said...

Sorry Frankie P, this is the one I meant...
http://stigmum.blogspot.com/2010/11/three-angels-at-my-door.html
I'll stop cluttering up your comment section now! Stay calm, knowing you're doing the right thing for you and your family. All the best! xxx

Rachel said...

Congratulations! Good for you, how exciting! Moving is hard work, but so rewarding ultimately, and so enriching for kid's lives.

Enjoy your next adventure - keep blogging once the boxes are unpacked :)

Tagged you in a linky by the way - sorry - no obligation of course: http://www.manana-mama.com/2011/10/next-time-wont-you-snore-with-me.html

Rachel said...

Sorry, whoops. Meant to say: have finally completed the linky you tagged me in AGES ago. Apologies, been a long day....

Still terribly excited about your move though :)